Blog Compass Lite 2.0 - personal blog About Me Album Bookmarks

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Samba Problem: Error was Permission denied

Linux Networking: smbclient -L locahost (connection refused).

Problem Scenario:

Setting samba server under Fedora Core 5 with everything alright (including network connection, firewall port opened for smb, proper authentication method, user accounts and shares), yet cannot browse the folders in Windows. It keeps asking you for the password.

When read through the log in /var/log/samba, the following message is found.

[2006/04/23 08:34:00, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(663)
  '/path_to/folder' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to [shares] Error was Permission denied

I have gone through smb.conf millions of times but the problem retains.

Solution:

Finally I found the solution in Experts Exchange (again), the problem is related to SELinux:

Amend /etc/selinux/config and set “SELINUX=disabled”, then reboot.

Though I have no clue why it is related to SELinux, it works.

7 Comments:

  • thanks for the post.
    good luck!

    By Blogger PKH갈휘, at 2:59 PM  

  • Thanks a lot for posting this.
    I spent 5h trying to figure out whats wrong until I found your post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 AM  

  • I second that! Just found this post after about 3 hours of banging my head.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 PM  

  • Thank you very much for your post ! I was in the middle of a crisis and i find your post at the right time.
    THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! THANK YOU !

    Indian

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 AM  

  • Thank you!

    By Anonymous Toomas, at 2:33 AM  

  • Yeah. Saved me too. Took me forever to find this.

    By Blogger p226, at 8:21 AM  

  • Thanks, I didn't catch that it was a SELINUX issue,
    here we don't even need to disable SELINUX, just set one sebool:
    setsebool -P samba_export_all_rw on

    It works for me:)

    By Anonymous AJ..B, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home